Posted by Surferbeetle,
As we sometimes do, I disagree with you regarding limiting the definition of offense to just military action.
Steve, thanks for catching this (Ken must be napping), I didn't mean to write it this way, so I added "doesn't".

It’s interesting to think about why Yemen is coming to the forefront of media consciousness at this time.
I think it is pretty clear why Yemen is moving to the front and center for media attention is because the threat appears new (news) to many (unlike Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan), yet those in the know have been concerned about Yemen for a long time (at least since the attack on the USS COLE).

So what can we learn about effective security and cost containment from Israel?
Not sure at this point, I saw a special on Israel's procedures and they don't appear to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Also how many planes does Israel have in their fleet compared to the U.S.? The scale of the problem for us is considerably larger.

More often than not, however, I am a ‘people are more important than hardware’ fan.
I wasn't making reference to DOD, but defense of our borders, ports, airlines, trains, etc. They type of technology I was talking about was more effective baggage scanners, more capacity to detect WMD in our ports, etc. Focused on TSA, Air Marshals, Coast Guard, Customs, Border Patrol, etc. A combination of well trained and motivated security personnel enabled with effective technology is the only acceptable combination for the wealthiest nation on the planet. We have mis-spent billions attempting to develop foreign security forces (I say mis-spent because the efforts are often ineffective), while leaving our home front under invested in.