gute,

Of my 3 OIF deployments, my second in 2005 was the longest and entailed more small unit fighting than the other two combined. The overwhelming majority of our missions were fire team level. I think that our doctrine says that shouldn't happen (my memory is fading). It was the norm for us and I know it was also the norm for several other units in other locations.

Regarding barrel length, I never understood that complaint. Shorter barrel has so little impact on long-distance accuracy as to be a non-issue and the shorter barrel is much more preferable in restrictive terrain, whether it be thick vegetation or inside buildings.

Regarding reorganization into 9-man squads and one weapons squad - there is no reason that a platoon cannot task organize this way if the mission and situation dictate it. But even when you have a weapons squad, it is really just adding a WSL to keep track of the guns. Not a huge difference. The guns are still dispersed throughout the platoon formation and will generally only coalesce when placed in a SBF or if the platoon manages to establish a large base of fire on chance contact.

I'm a bit wary of the assertion that squads should not be used for base of fire + assault. I don't think our doctrine accepts that, given the squad attack battle drill. I've seen it occur to great success and mission requirements are often not going to accommodate more than a squad-sized patrol.