Thread: COIN training

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

The concept has much merit and there are units "gaming" it before they go over.

Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice is a good place to start. We have had some experience with the gaming as opposed to real world with Robin Sage and later deployments. While one does what one can, there is a huge difference.

I doubt we will see mil units working major urban centers in the US. There is no up side for the civil authorities and the risks are significant. As for JTF 6 missions, I personally wouldn't catagorize them as successful - but that is not really relevant to the discussion at hand.

What I would like to see along this line is perhaps something in a lower risk environment, but in theater. Kuwait, perhaps Djibouti, those kinds of places.

Another thing I think should be considered is the formation of "hand-over" units. These would be units that would do precisely what you suggest - soft power, mentoring formation of civil government, policing - while monitoring leading indicators of insurgent resurgence. This as opposed to tasking a rifle company to do both missions. The new units would consist of maore mature troops, trained in psy ops and ca, etc. They would go in when an area has been nominally cleared by the more combat oriented units.

The key element in the hand-over units would be patience.

The CIDG and CAP programs from Vietnam are good examples.

Of course the hard corps line units would have to be available to quash any sudden flare-ups. One AO over run would be disasterous for any such program.

I didn't see any place for introductions. I am a former 18D with 7th SFG(A). I spent all my time area-focused on LATAM and I am currently a USG contractor with focus on COIN and CT. DDilegge knows me from another board. I would just like to say "Thanks" to those responsible for this site. I am a devoted student of Small War and I look forward to many interesting discussion here on the new board.
    Last edited by NDD; 10-11-2005 at 02:48 AM.