Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
I'm not sure this stands up to much scrutiny. The Surfaces and gaps deal is a very odd conception of reading ground and/or an enemy defense. More over how do you use it in defense?
Mission tactics or mission command?
The ME is not part of MW. It's inherent to Command, as is the Objective and the Reserve. This is also confusing for a lot of folks because they get confused between the "Mission" and the "Objective."
All pretty wooly stuff in my view.
Tactics is not one discrete area of training that can be reduced to "5 things". Tactics has to be framed within a level of Command (Platoon, Company) but that is because of how you teach it, or how it should be taught.

1-Surfaces and Gaps seems pretty easy to me. Weapons will usually be surfaces and gaps will be the ranges of theirs vs. yours. It works in the defense the same way as the offense. The ME would be the unit and location from which you expect the attack to occur, and be prepared to change that based upon the situation.

2-ME is part of MW based upon the book, it's just different based upon your war fighting philosophy.

3-Wyly goes into great detail over the confusion over Mission vs. Objective which is why I thought and think that was one of his most important lectures. And it is very relevant to today's current situation. IMO the definition of the "objective should be confined to a location from which you can best accomplish your mission". And be prepared to change that constantly based upon how the enemy acts and reacts.

4-I understand what you mean by tactics can be unit variable and I agree with that. The tactics of a company have to be different than that of a platoon or squad or there wouldn't be any reason to have such organizations. But what I think Lind and Wyly were driving at were the guiding principles that underlie all Tactics and I think they did a pretty good job overall.

5-The principles of tactics may be 5 things or maybe less, Wyly and Lind made a good start. Mission,ME,Surfaces and Gaps need to be there but I might add Time as the fourth principle. Indeed Time may be the ultimate principle. Just my opinion.