Selil, please take note of the series of "if's" in my initial response. My second response was a clarification of the nature of the efficacy if my "if's" were met.

As you state, the current CENTCOM structure is not meeting any of that - it is not monitoring - in the intelligence sense of that term - nor does its "mission" seem structured to be anything more than a PR bandaid.

However, if those who plan and decide on such things ever pull their heads out of their fourth points of contact, a small team of professionals will suffice. Once again - a trained intelligence professional, familiar with the types of 'net comms under discussion, will have no problem with effective monitoring - and that ties into the conduct of analysis in support of, and to exploit, that particular mission.

Where a larger group becomes necessary is when the mission has expanded beyond monitoring and simple collection into the construct of false identities that are actively engaged in on-line elicitation - and other activities moving towards the dark side.