Quote Originally Posted by Rhodesian View Post
Arrogant? Yes, came with the territory, an absolute must in the RLI, we know who we are, and our limits, and we fight accordingly.
That trait is IMO a must for anyone who's going to fight halfway well, so I've no problem with arrogance. Indulge in it myself -- and often. Got no problem with ignorance either, it happens, one tries to correct it. Willful ignorance OTOH -- like ignoring the political realities we and the British have to cope with is another thing...
Casevac: No complaints about casevac times? . . mmmmm . . . probably because the comparison has never been made. I still go for 7 minutes and out, with a fully trained combat medic from my own Stick...
Did that time apply just to the Fire Force folks or to the entire Police and Military effort? If the former, most of our SOF raids can match or beat it; if to the total force involved, obviously we can't match it. Question of numbers, I suspect. As for Medics, we got bunches of 'em -- and we have the Combat Lifesaver program wherein Joe (your Johnny Bravo) gets to learn how to do IVs and other neat stuff -- stuff that 30 years ago, Medics weren't even doing. He gets the gear to go with the knowledge as well. That's not just SOF or hotshot units, that's everyone.
I think we've already highlighted a problem: A tendency to want “tools” that go far beyond our requirements – too expensive, to costly to run, too high maintenance, over-kill. Keep it simple.
Wise words. I agree. However, while the guys out there doing the job would really like to keep it simple (and would really like different ROE...), they don't get the simple reliable tools they want, they get the overly expensive and not always reliable tools Congress buys. In the US, the Army doesn't get to buy what it wants, it gets to buy what Congress tells it to. Dumb system but it's reality.

If we cut down to essentials and keep it simple, it will cost US jobs -- our Congress doesn't like that idea. They never found a piece of exotic hardware they wouldn't buy, particularly if it's big and expensive enough to have parts made in multiple electoral districts. You folks in Rhodesia had to use what you had. We have to do the same thing, it's just bass ackwards.

Baboon 6 mentioned the USAF might buy a low cost turboprop. Likely won't be the Brazilian Tucano in other than 'trial' quantities. IF we buy one, it'll be made in the US (even if it's less capable) and that's a big 'if.' Buying it will cut into other 'more important' (Congressionally liked) programs...

Everyone has problems of one kind or another. Your Johnny, their Tommy and our Joe just suck it up and keep on going...