Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
The system is built around a 3 year period of service. The officer selection is based on something called Kaba (quality) scores, that is based on your life before the army from school work, family history and psychological examinations on joining. It is notable that almost all successful IDF officers have very high Kaba scores. This is the bit everyone misses.
Is there any literature on the kaba methodology? While at university a friend of mine did his thesis on the Army Officer Selection process. The Army Officer Selection Board (AOSB) is surprisingly sophisticated (most of us just remember command tasks with 3 barrels, 6 toggle ropes, 2 planks and a hangover; as well as the dreaded 6ft wall ) with lots of psychometric testing. I forget what the statistics are, but AOSB reckoned it identified most General Staff officers (bird colonel and above) at AOSB.

Replying to JMAs point on officer training syllabus, the first term at Sandhurst is the trained soldier syllabus, so if officer candidates had to come having completed time in the ranks then you ould in theory cut the course by approx 1/3.

Sandhurst has recently been given a bit of a new broom and I was there a couple of weeks ago trying to ascertain how they had changed in the light of operational experiences. I will see if I can write up my notes this week and publish. I know that they have trialled Ex Caractacus, a complex COIN TEWT set in Wales circa AD 100.