Thread: Mech Platoon: CAB or ACR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtan163 View Post
    In addition to Wilf's point re concentrating your troops into one big fat target, you lose flexibility.

I.e. you end up with one manoeuvre element instead of say 3 or 4.

If you want to debuss your troops simultneously you have to debuss them in a bit platoon gaggle, instead of in a formation more like what they would normally deploy in.

No bounding overwatch in less than coy size movements, you can cover less frontage while mounted, you can cover/advance on fewer axis, you have fewer mounted weapons/sensors, less redundancy in both mobility and other areas (weapons, sensors, comms).

All of this I think would make deploying a platoon as a semi independent element fairly unattractive. Just too many eggs in one basket - any problems and your whole platoon is stranded/neutralised and you suddenly have a big hole in your coy.

And such a platoon/half platoon sized vehicle would be a big, heavy, probably less agile target, especially if up armoured/built to namer type levels of protection. Imagine an LVTP7 with 6" steel RHA....

I personally think that the gains of fewer, larger vehicles would be few, and the downsides many.
    If it weren't for the various costs I think more smaller vehicles (especially if organic to the inf) might be interesting, especially with the patrol based infantry discussed elsewhere (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...&highlight=pbi).
    Thought as much; no advantages whatsoever. Really makes one wonder what the hell was going through the minds of the M44 designers Makes it's cancellation all the more understandable though. Wonder what happens to the EFV? That's a big ol' vehicle/target by anyone's standards.
    Attached Images Attached Images