Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
This is an excellent point that I think is often lost on the casual observer of Fire Force ops. There was usually a considerable ballet involved, that started with the sensor (OP, Selous Scout element, etc.) calling in a spotrep. That sensor provided continuous updates to the C2 nodes to fill in details as the call-out proceeded and the shooters (Fire Force) got aloft and on its way to the obj area. The sensor provided critical terminal control of sorts, and once it got the K-car in the area and the battle was joined, the Fire Force commander performed the unique job of controlling all ground movement. There are new sensors that could be use in lieu of the standard OP of that day - but only to a point. I have not been aloft over the green zones down my way, but I have watched plenty of UAS feed, and it is like watching a firefight through a soda straw. That does not give us the sensory perception and depth required to coordinate heavily synchronized ground effort in the same fashion as Fire Force elements of old, in my opinion.

We do not train to a typically high enough standard to control battlefield geometry all that well, and I fear we have simply lost the art of commanding heliborne inserts and follow-on maneuver from an aerial platform. That's another matter I think we would have a hard time overcoming.
On the route in as Airborne Cmdr one would try to get a briefing from the OP as to where they thought the likely escape routes would be (as our maps were basic 1:50,000 with no photogramatic overlay to show accurate vegetation cover). Mostly there would be a preplanned set of individual (an separate) drop-offs for the first wave sticks. So if the gunship came overhead and engaged the insurgents a simple "go with plan A" instruction could be given. When a pilot has to find his own LZ, get in and out quickly on his own its amazing quick and slick the whole operation becomes. The flaring before landing in just enough and not a moment is wasted. Everybody gets "slick and quick". The troopies want on the ground ASAP.

My question re the photo (in post #124) was because that was a lot like a view from an OP or from the gunship as one started lifting on arrival at the target. Every contour ridge (or bund) is a massive potential problem for infantry on the ground as are the mud walls but are nothing from the air.

John you must get yourself at least 30 mins in a helo to get the picture of the ground from 1,000 ft over various terrain types. What kind of lens to the UAS have. The US can put a man on the moon, they can give you the right lens.

The problem with the air mobile stuff in this context is that all that is happening is the unit/sub-unit is being delivered on to the ground together so as to act like normal infantry (think Ia Drang). That is good for many more conventional applications but not for small groups who can be encircled and dealt with accordingly. (Suggest the use of encircled rather enveloped as enveloped has existing connotations.)