Oslo Accords (Israel-PLO, 1993), better discussed by Wilf and Rex from two somewhat different viewpoints - not my SME.

Astan (in current political set-up) involves Bonn Agreement (2001) and the Kabul Jirgas (Shuras) following. See starting with this post, Constitutional History of Afghanistan and ending with this one, Summary and Conclusion - Questions to be Anxwered.

As to which, many threads here have talked the issues to death - so far as I'm concerned.

IMO: Astan's politics have been FUBAR for slightly more than 40 years; and will remain so barring a miracle of biblical proportions. So, in the interim, our military efforts will have to (again ! - as in Korea and Vietnam) buy us a "Decent Interval" to arrange a truce of some kind or disengage completely. Of course, an Astan Awakening could occur, but I leave that topic to others.

Currently (and for a couple of months), I've been looking at the history of civil affairs, military government, martial law, provost and detention policies - and, the Laws of Land Warfare, from Gen Order 100 (1863), through the Vietnam Era. Actually that history really starts with the Mexican War and Winfield Scott (Wiki), who was a lawyer and an infantry officer (among many things, 1840, Scott's 3 vol. "Infantry Tactics, Or, Rules for the Exercise and Maneuvre of the United States Infantry"; that one for you, Ryan).

All of that is more satisfying than dwelling on Astan; as to which, my current affairs comments are not needed.

Which in a way brings us back to the Petraeus part of the heading; namely, his thesis from the 1980s dealing with high level military officer input into national security policy from Korea through Vietnam and early Reagan. A very interesting presentation that thoroughly explains the "Never Again, but" school (to which I have belonged since Korea) - search SWC and you'll find a thread with a link to the Petraeus thesis (which may or may not be still good - Google might be easier). So, while I won't put Dave Petraeus up there with Caesar (remember the imperial Caesars thought themselves gods); he is a smart guy and recognizes the limitations of the military effort.

Regards

Mike