Thread: U.S. troops face Afghan enemy too young to kill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Without penalty

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    Just ask Law Enforcement types about lethal feral youths on the streets of urban America. Without moral compasses, you get "Lord of the Flies" and all that goes with it.
    you get Lord of the Flies and all that goes with it.

I've got two sons that are long time Cops, one on each coast, both in major urban areas. Their concern is the 'legal' system apparently has no moral compass.

Or much sense...

Council Member

Default Ken, gave your two sons ...

virtual handshakes and salutes from me. Being a coastal cop (esp. in a major urban center) takes great fortitude and dedication. Or, else you have to be as dumb as a brick; but judging from their Old Man, that seems unlikely.

The civil and criminal justice system works better in the Heartland (its major urban centers excepted). I expect there is much greater direct accountability for judges, lawyers and police in smaller communities with lesser case loads.

-------------------------------
    "Lord of the Flies" is an interesting book, which frustrated the hell out of me when I first read it in the late 1950s while in high school. My problems were with Ralphie Boy vice Jack. Ralph should have taken on Jack upfront, and if needed killed him. Ralph tried to protect the Piggies of his New World by playing nice all the way. That doesn't work in an environment ruled by the Laws of War.

And no, I wasn't a Piggy back then:

10thGrade.jpg

more like something of a cross between Ralph and Jack, I suppose. Both had good and bad features - and to some extent can stand as metaphors for the Rule of Law (Ralph) and the Laws of War (Jack).

Regards

Mike

Default I'll do that and thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Or, else you have to be as dumb as a brick; but judging from their Old Man, that seems unlikely.
    Actually, they're smarter and better lookin' than I am -- a not all that difficult pair of feats...
    The civil and criminal justice system works better in the Heartland (its major urban centers excepted). I expect there is much greater direct accountability for judges, lawyers and police in smaller communities with lesser case loads.
    I'm sure you're correct. Having watched the processes actually work in rural Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Virginia among other places, I continue to be totally befuddled by some case reports from all our larger cities...

The west coaster son's three year long ordeal defending what was then his Dog Section from a local Activist's flawed and failed legal assault a few years ago over the fleeing felon who got bitten in the posterior was at least a hilarious break in otherwise sad stories.

Beyond fuddlement was the east coast kid's breaking his Asp in an arrest for the third time by him of one individual with a record of seven arrests and convictions for violent acts. Now eight. He's already back on the street...

The jails are overfull, they say...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Actually, they're smarter and better lookin' than I am -- a not all that difficult pair of feats...I'm sure you're correct. Having watched the processes actually work in rural Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Virginia among other places, I continue to be totally befuddled by some case reports from all our larger cities...

The west coaster son's three year long ordeal defending what was then his Dog Section from a local Activist's flawed and failed legal assault a few years ago over the fleeing felon who got bitten in the posterior was at least a hilarious break in otherwise sad stories.

Beyond fuddlement was the east coast kid's breaking his Asp in an arrest for the third time by him of one individual with a record of seven arrests and convictions for violent acts. Now eight. He's already back on the street...

The jails are overfull, they say...
    Tell me Ken, is it really true that the police in LA are not able to handle the gangs?

Default I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Tell me Ken, is it really true that the police in LA are not able to handle the gangs?
    Haven't been to LA in 60 years. No desire to go back. Ugly town. LA Cops then were really pretty good, though and apparently still are better than most. Very small force for the size of the population, too...

However, I suspect that like all Police everywhere, they are not really able to "handle the gangs." If gangs were not a problem worldwide, there would be far fewer police. LINK, LINK, LINK, LINK.

You ask really weird questions but I'm sure you have a point in there somewhere, no matter how obscure it may be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    You ask really weird questions but I'm sure you have a point in there somewhere, no matter how obscure it may be.
    Well Ken, out here in the colonies we are probably cut from a different template.

I'm trying to figure out the reason why Afghanistan was allowed to develop into a narc state. So I look at Mexico and then LA (and others). The simple deduction is that if its OK so close to home then who cares about Afghanistan, right?

Then again maybe not

Highly redacted DOJ document on OMG's, this one deals with the Hells Angels.

http://cryptome.org/gangs/hells.pdf

One aspect of OMG's that is often overlooked IMO opinion is that these guys are very comfortable with technology...they still no how to make stuff with their hands, something not found in many gangs.

Default It has been my observation that this is

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    ...out here in the colonies we are probably cut from a different template.
    a very correct statement. That is neither an undeserved compliment nor a merited criticism, merely an acknowledgment of difference.
    I'm trying to figure out the reason why Afghanistan was allowed to develop into a narc state. So I look at Mexico and then LA (and others). The simple deduction is that if its OK so close to home then who cares about Afghanistan, right?
    That would indeed be simple deduction. Quite simple. Keep working at it, I'm sure some clarity will eventually appear...

Uh, perhaps because the existing world system frowns upon excessive interference with other States and we generally adhere to that unless provoked? That would be my assessment, I'm sure yours differs. I'm equally sure that matters little.

I'm unsure why you appear to believe it was the US' job to clean up Afghanistan or just how we're supposed to do that but I note that once again you're strong on implications and innuendo and quite short on workable solutions. What is your suggestion? Please provide one that is not in accordance with the odd JMA version of what once was and forever should be but one that comports to what actually is achievable in this era.

The same thing applies to Mexico and even, slightly, to LA. We are a Federation and the Federal Government's powers to interfere in LA are limited. We also have a deliberately limited and unresponsive governmental process that the rest of the world, to include the odd Colonist, rarely understands or likes. That suits us just fine.
    Then again maybe not
    ... And the point remains obscure...

(Moderator's Note: couple of posts moved to the Afg & drugs main thread as returning to this issue does not belong here).
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.