Thread: Somalia: not piracy catch all thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huskerguy7 View Post
    My opinion: I don't think the training is being done properly. As the article mentioned in the post above, troops are deserting and taking advantage of the services and weapons provided to them. If we want the training to succeed properly, I think that the trainers should be allowed to embed to a certain extent. This will require a heavier footprint, which has obvious negatives. However, embedded trainers would allow for more cooperation, better training, and possibly a more confident military. That's just an opinion though.
    With respect you need to start with the selection of the people to be trained. There is little point in training, arming and equipping Somalis only to have them desert with their weapons.

Hundreds of German-financed Somali police officers go missing

U.S.-Trained Somali Troops Defect to Insurgency

Then of course the following jaw dropper Finns Training Somali Troops in Uganda. The Finns have the credentials to train anyone for warfare in Africa?

The hard question must be asked as to whether US and European funders have learned nothing about working in developing (African) countries? This is all pretty close to rank incompetence.
    Last edited by JMA; 08-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.