Thread: The 2006 Hezbollah-Israeli War (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Certainly, a interesting topic. Unfortunately, I got in late in this discussion, but here are some suggestion from my point of view.

These questions could be answered in three chapters,
    1)Buildup to war from 2000-2006, including unilateral withdrawal from southern Lebanon, Intifada, Gaza, change in Israeli leadership etc...
    2)Hezbollah's guerrilla tactics during the war. Israel's mistakes and weaknesses.
    3)Post Bellum. The war's local, regional, and international implications.
    1. The buildup started 1982, with the creation of Hizbollah. A resistance movement, but also a militia during the civil war. The civil war finished 1990, all militias were disbanded except Hizbollah, who could continue as a resistance movement (with the blessing of the international community). And do not call it an unilateral withdrawal, Israel pull out because it was to costly. For some reason Israel kept Sheeba Farms, giving Hizbollah a reason to continue as a restistance movement.
    2. Which I had more knowledge about tactics, maybe a visit to Hizbollah theme park could help (see article in todays The Independent). Israeli mistakes, most have been very bad intelligence. Maybe bigger network of spies today, anyhow a lot of spies are being caught in Lebanon.
    3. Will only comment on local implications. Lebanon has been on the brink of civil war several times since 2006.
    Last edited by unmo300; 08-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.