Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post

With regards ammunition I think two coy level tubes equipped with PGMM would be of greater benefit than 6 (especially given the phenomenal RoF a single mortar can produce- 20 rds/min IIRC)in all but FPF missions requiring copious (why does that word always sound rude to me?) amounts of ammunition and where more tubes would definitely be a plus in terms of frontage as well as volume though I often think frontages and areas are merely ways of ensuring destruction (suppression is a different issue) in the absence of precision capabilities hence the emphasis on PGMM

See my earlier comments regarding control of fires. As these are Company-level weapons, control should NEVER go above that level.

Not sure anyone makes or is thinking of making a 60mm PGM. 81mm yes, 120mm yes.

1. An advantage of a 3-gun section/platoon/unit is that two tubes can be firing HE while the other fires smoke. Or the reverse. With just two guns the effect is too weak.

2. So, having said all of that, maybe a single platoon of four tubes normally kept as a single unit is a better/alternate solution.
1. I don't think you'd need a tube just for Smoke, all you'd need is to fire three HH, a smoke round and then three more HE (for instance) per tube AFAIK its possible and is done routinely.

2. You might well be right but I'm still concerned about responsiveness. Much easier for plt cdr to turn to his mortarman and order five HE and one smoke than it is to call them in over the net. Beside if coy cdr decides to employ the mrotar section/plt on a HVT the plts may be shorn of valubale fire support at critical moments. Also, say during an assault of a strongpoint, the four/six tubes at coy would be as reponsive to shifting fires as would the plt mortar which eases fire support planning at coy level IMO.