Thread: Infantry Unit Tactics, Tasks, Weapons, and Organization

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    Also, I know the USMC has been planing to field composite 120mm/155mm batteries for MAGTF operations with some in the Corps advocating that the 120mms be organic to the inf bn. What's the deal with that?
    All the East Coast MEUs have already deployed w/them. 4 M-777 LW155s & 4 EFSS ITV/120mm combos.

As far as making them Organic to the Inf BNs I doubt that'll ever happen.

I can't speak w/authority for HQMC PP&O but a Marine Inf BN is pretty loaded out w/975 Marines & Sailors standard. There's already an 81mm Mortar Plt of about 72 Marines in the Weapons Company & a 60mm Section attached to every Rifle Coys Weapons Plt.

And w/the potential switch to much more Robust Rifle Coys soon w/the ECO/CoLT (Coy Landing Teams) I don't think there be any room for them to be organic.

Keep the responsibility for them, their trucks, & ammo, w/the Arty BNs & FAP'm over for deployment as part of the BLT (BN Landing Tm) then send them back.

But what I did hear was that in A'stan in the more permanent Rifle Plt COPs they've retrained some of the 81s to man stationary 120s in those COPs. I'll try to find 1 of the articles I seen on this..
    You'll like this one, it involves cheerleaders.But I think its just been for Field Expediency.
    Last edited by COMMAR; 08-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.