Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
Yes, I would organize the troops in the ARS with a Stryker RSTA (I have a black check).

Yes, I would eliminate the HHC scout.

My idea would increase the number of tanks by two from the current CAB of 28. Big increase in M3 and I did not know that the 3+5 set-up was due to a lack of carriers. Sure, the M3 vehicles would become available with the conversion of the 3rd ACR to a SBCT, but additional Strykers would need to be purchased to equip all HBCTs with a Stryker RSTA. The Stryker seems to be suitable vehicle for this role - reconnaissance and surveillance, snooping in the white area while the CABs are maneuvering with the scout troops/companies out front lookin for trouble and have the firepower to deal with trouble.
I don't know that it was totally due to lack of carriers, but I do know that the BSFVs (M6?) were converted back, and that available numbers were at least part of the consideration.

I've heard that the Stryker RV (M1127) has limited eyeball capability, and limited dismount ability- the second may be to MTOE, not a capacity, issue.

I like the idea of a Stryker RSTA in the HBCT, but I would change the organization (in both BCTs): Each troop would contain 2 Recon Platoons with RVs (4 x M1127, 16 dismounts + 8 crew = 24 pax total), 1 MGS Platoon (4 x M1128, 12 pax total), 1 Rifle PLT (4 x M1126 ICV, 44 pax total). 3 line troops like this, with an HHT. Alternatively, (with a blank check) we could replace the RVs with M3s, the ICVs with M2s and the MGS with M1s in the HBCT- I am in favor of keeping the same organization between the HBCT and SBCT, with the primary difference being the platforms used.

I'm not sure of the need for the Surveillance Troop n the SBCT RSTA. In the HBCT and IBCT, these elements are part of the BSTB. Maybe instead of the Surveillance Troop (or in addition to it) the HBCT RSTA could have a fourth line troop with the Stryker platforms, or they could go into a SQDN Scout PLT in the HHT. I believe that 3-73 AR (the 82nd ABN Sheridan BN) tested a LAV-25 scout platoon, maybe even deploying it to OPN Desert Storm.