Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
JMA:

Given a compliant indigenous folk with an underwhelming ability to resist, your suggestions and your multi-national force would probably be quite effective as you say:
I suggest that the force level required and the type of forces be selected on the dynamics on the ground. What type/quality of combatants are you likely to come up against and what is the expected reaction of the population under threat.

If you have a small group of perpetrators inflicting misery on a largely passive population then a reasonably competent paramilitary force followed up by police action should do the business. (A bit like Timor)

The suggested use of military commissions in the field may well find few advocates. That despite the fact that it could provide prompt justice as an alternative to either "justice" delayed (as at the Hague; and hence, in reality, often denied) - or to shooting prisoners, which even if effective leaves no honor as recompense for the shooters.
I am not against tribunals at all but I do see claims of "jungle justice" and "kangaroo courts" being raised and even to a more shrill level if the death sentence is dished out. You are talking about a form of martial law right?

I do not advocate shooting prisoners but I am not a proponent of taking prisoners (if you know what I mean) unless they are really needed for intel gathering purposes. As I said before a difficult subject to deal with in the public domain.