I checked out this thread in the hopes of reading some interesting comments on the use of airpower and groundpower in a COIN environment. I had hoped to read how they could compliment each other. However, the discussion quickly turned into a dinigration of the Air Force. One would think this was a transcript from DC as the Army went begging for dollars.

As a current USAF officer (non-rated), I feel compelled to address your comments. Everytime I hear something negative about the USAF it usually includes some comment about how we're always asking for too much money for a next generation fighter or whatever. However, you must remember that our mission is to defend the US in the air and space. To do this, we must not remain short-sighted and defend only against current, known enemies. We must anticipate the unknown and ensure our air capabilities are unmatched. I am quite sure that the Marines and Army are thrilled with our air and space dominance as it ensures close air support, medevac and the like. While our current war is not conventional, we cannot ignore the potential for one. If we did and got bitten in the rear as a result, I'm sure some of the same folks that disparage the USAF now would blame us then too. Sure, we need to adapt to the small wars environment and some of us are looking past the Mitchell view of airpower as solely lethal. Give us some time. We've forgotten some lessons encountered from small wars just like the other branches.

I especially enjoyed the "weakest kids" comment. True enough, we don't have alot of folks that could take a hill (or run up it for that matter), but that isn't our mission. Of course we do have some career fields that require top physical fitness (pararescue, combat controller, etc.) and I'd stack those guys up against any from the other branches. The point is that the USAF trains its folks to the mission; the same as the Army and the Marines.

As for an absence of dedication, you should really rethink your statement. The next time you're at an airbase downrange, take a walk down to the flightline. Get someone to show you how our maintainers live and work. These guys are the grunts of the Air Force. They routinely work very long hours (just like the Army/Marines), in austere conditions (just like the Army/Marines), and sometimes lack food and other necessities (just like, you get it). They just do a different job.

I won't attempt to generalize the entire USAF by generalizing the rationale for joining the USAF rather than another branch of the service, but I would imagine that not everyone joined simply because it was easier. Some join because they want to acquire a technical skill they believe is better acquired through the USAF. It doesn't mean they believe that the other branches are inferior or less patriotic than the USAF. They just made a choice that was best for them. Questioning their dedication and professionalism because of that choice seems unfair.

It amazes me to see people criticize the USAF for having an Air Force first mentality and then listen as they criticize everything about the USAF that isn't like their particular branch. Having served as a USMC grunt and grown up as an Army brat, I've seen a little of them all. They each have a culture that is compatible with their mission. And each could learn a little from the other. There are a great number of former Marines and Soldiers in the USAF and the ones I have spoken to agree with me. Is the Air Force different than the other branches? Sure. Are we less dedicated and less professional? Hell no! Maybe if other branches realize that, jointness could mean something.

We may put on a different uniform and perform a different job, but we're every bit as patriotic, dedicated, and professional as the other branches and recognize that we're all on the same team. And that's just the way it is.