Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
Personally I don't know too many Americans, whether "the Washington power structure" or the Sarah Palin crowd, who accept the idea that people in the Islamic world understand us pretty well, but just don't like us and what we stand for.
I guess it's all in who you meet and where. I don't know too many Americans who do not realize that most natives of other Nations do not understand us at all well -- and that includes their intelligentsia -- and that many in those nations do not like us for various reasons, valid and not. Nor do I meet, talk with or know many who do not accept that we are not well liked -- or who fret much about that fact.

Most of them, unwashed though they be, seem to grasp that the 'Islamic' problem with us revolves around several factors, that we are at fault in some ways and agree that the cultural disconnects are pervasive and difficult to reconcile. However, they really aren't interested in us changing -- and they can do math...

That means they wish there was no disconnect but aren't inclined to try to change the attitudes of others. That latter sort of effort seems to be a Beltway habitue shtick.
There are dozens and dozens of official statements from both the Bush and Obama administration contending that "public diplomacy" will make for better understanding and less hostility. After nine years in which this hasn't happened, we cling to it.
Apparently you missed the bit where I said I agreed with you -- and faulted several other Administrations...
First of all, I don't think that's true. I'm a South Carolinian and I can tell you that Nugent's essay very much represents the majority perspective in much of "red" America.
We can disagree on that, the definition of "much," I mean. I'm a Kentuckian, have lived all over the South, to include two years in Charleston and fishing in Lake Moultrie. I now live on the Redneck Riviera, just got back from a trip to Jawja. I know and talk to many people (including relatives all over the South *) who would certainly agree with the Nugent perspective. I know a good many more who would not (Including more of the above *). Also know a bunch who would and do withhold judgment due to inadequate information (including most of the above *). That's three thirds, two of 'em likely do not agree with or support the Gaffney / Nugent view.

No way to tell, really, we're both stating our perceptions or opinions and should be able to do so without being disagreeable.
But in any case, when people in Pakistan read that essay, do you think they'll say, "Oh that's just a fringe publication, so we should disregard it"?
Uh, no -- that's why I said above:

"As you say, the fact that most Americans will virtually ignore all three is eclipsed by the fact that it plays into the arms of those anti-US types -- worldwide, to include here in this nation, and of all stripes..."

You seem to have missed the fact that I agree with you.
I'd be happy to discuss the merits and shortcomings of Huntington's "clash of civilizations" theory but don't see much value in debating a caricature version of it.
Huntington's Clash is IMO a caricature in itself. People are more complex than that and times change. I did not attack that book or idea on its or their merits, what I did say was: "While I doubt that such a clash is inevitable, I do think our current policies -- they are not a strategy -- are not helpful and that they could bring about the very clash that we should wish to avoid."

I'd say have a nice day but you seem to have made other plans...