on the following general points:

from BW
First, all insurgents and terrorists are by definition outlaws, so they have their first sanctuary right there. One is not constrained by the law once they opt to live and act outside it.

Second, being "non-state" actors they are also outside the rules and tools designed for the control of proper state behavior. ....

Another critical component to sanctuary is the support of poorly governed populaces. ...

Next we need better laws for allowing short-notice, short-duration punitive raids to deal with critical nodes of networked terror organizations. ...
Now, if you could provide me some content - that is, what laws you propose.

I'm most interested in your 1st, 2nd and 4th points.

The third point seems difficult (to me); e.g., you say (emphasis added):

Understanding what aspect of governmental actions contribute most significantly to such perceptions and then crafting and enforcing laws aimed at the governments that create these conditions we nick away at their sanctuary even more.
Once upon a time, we did deal with those of "bad governance" (as we defined it) by "clever" and "devious" approaches, where perhaps 130 (or less) operatives were involved in a country (some even were lawyers). Those approaches made for bad press - the purges starting with Ramparts' exposé of the CIA ties to the National Student Association, labor organizations and academia in the later 1960s (links here).

So, today, we are much more "aboveboard" in dealing with "bad governance" (as we define it) and send 130K troops to rectify the situation.

Feel free to post some proposed laws - reduction of ideas to practice, clever and devious accepted.

Regards

Mike