My Uncle, who is a hero of mine, is an AF BG(ret). He flew before WWII, almost became AVG (taken out with malaria and some other disease before he got the chance) Came back to fly in the China-Burma-India theater for a couple of years (In P-400s, believe it or not), flew F-51s in Korea, F-105s in Viet Nam and became a mathematician for the Air Force prior to retirement.

Myself, I am a former Armor/CAV guy who currently serves in the Reserves as a Terminal Operations Officer, (I work with TALCE and ADACG on the Army side) and I've also done contract work for the Air Force, rebuilding C-130s down in Florida. I know a little about the Air Force, in other words. So I feel qualified to level some criticism at them from time to time.

1. The Air Force has a history of burning through taxpayer's dollars on "luxury items" like officers' clubs, golf courses and whatnot, so that they run out of money prior to completing their "core competencies" like runways. As a taxpayer, as well as the member of a competing service, I feel qualified to be p.o.d about this.

2. The Air Force doesn't have a remote clue as to what "leadership" consists of. See the comments about "flying" being "leadership". Or about the non-use of NCOs as lower level leaders.

3. The Air Forces' personnel system is run by even drunker monkeys than the Army's. They are currently forcibly reclassifying some specialities and ignoring airmen who are volunteering to reclassify.

4. The Air Force is run by a checklist mentality that doesn't necessarily have a "what is right?" check the block. The reflector belt issue and the way that the SFs are treated when it comes to training come to mind right away.

5. And finally, what appears to be the a large part of the Air Force senior leadership really, really thinks that ground forces are a waste of time. Despite historic study after historic study showing the ineffectiveness of air campaigns. In fact, I would suggest that air power is a subractor in COIN. It is an admission that friendly forces aren't strong enough, so they must wreck someone's house in order to accomplish the mission. This, in my opinion, is the most dangerous problem of all.

One last, interesting point. I notice that Air Force personnel are much more apt to take offense at criticism of their branch. Perhaps this is a symptom of criticism being pretty close to the mark for comfort?