Posted by Gute,

IMO the standards for the PT tests (all branches) are reasonable. The tests set standards that are easy to understand and easy to score.
It is fight I don't intend to win, but you addressed the issue I'm concerned with. The military is more concerned about standards that are easy to understand and score. It is more about the test than actually be fit for combat. Of course you addressed the remedy to that in the remainder of your post, which I concur with.

Posted by Rifleman,
We just had a patrol sergeant return from the National Academy in Quantico. If you're not familiar with it, it's run by the FBI for the purpose of raising law enforcement standards and proficiency nationwide. The FBI has dropped situps in favor of a timed plank hold.

Link: http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...r-stomach.html
I started doing planks about a year ago and my back feels much better, but I don't think planks develop the same functional muscles as sit ups? Also do isometric sit ups (get up in a 45 degree angle and hold a few seconds and repeat a few times). Another way to add some muscle to your mid section is by doing curls, just a couple of miller beers per night will pack on the mass