Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Although diplomats love to tout diplomacy as a solution, they have a porblem in 4GW scenarios. The FS folks will tell you that the Westphalian model and "rules" of diplomacy are still the rules to play by. These "rules" do not account for non-state actors. Big problem in diplomacy areas.
I agree with your assessment of the FS, but that doesn't make them right. First off, in the model depicted above (HOA) the diplomacy isn't with the non-state actors themselves as much as with outside actors. And even then, the D is de-emphasized to your point.

I think there's room for FS / DoS to participate, but not through traditional Track I diplomacy as the perceived target isn't a state. However, actions of the targeted state (by the irregular warrior) or of supporting states (or either the irregular warrior or by our, the side of Good and Right ) may be targeted. So DoS still has something to do in Track I. In Track II, they can participate through means Rice and Hughes don't seem to understand or at least embrace, such as USIA-like activities, USAID, and other activities under the category of "public diplomacy".

I wonder where the ampflier fits in on the EQ?
Ideas? What about the pre-amp (Coercion here), does it fit?