Quote Originally Posted by B.Smitty View Post
Don't know if I buy the notion that "Filling the niche in peace time can lead to low intensity combat due to a capability being extant".
Well, I've been to several LIC efforts, all because we could do that and really for little more reason -- all at least marginally successful, all at a great cost for the benefit derived. If a capability exists it WILL be used, the system demands that it be...
We didn't have a medium-weight units in Kosovo, but we still went in anyway. Heavy units took way to long to get there. Light units weren't enough of a deterrence.
Oh? Better check your history. The Marines and 82 Abn elms that went in first were doing fine; SSGs were playing Village Mayor, LTs playing Disctrict Governors and they were getting things done -- until Do Do Bird Sanchez finally got there and delivered his first brilliant order "All Elements outside base camps will be accompanied by a field grade officer."
We need them because our nation has shown a consistent desire to intervene in LIC/COIN/paramilitary efforts. The Army can argue it should or shouldn't get involved efforts, but if the President says "go", the Army will go.
Not the Army's place to make that argument. It is the Army's job to provide capability to execute likely missions. ALL likely missions -- over emphasis on one sort of mission is as bad as denying the existence of mission sets.
I don't see this "limited utility"...
Okay.
...So it may end up being a net mobility gain, even though it's roughly 1 ton heavier.
We'll see. If I were a bettor...
I don't know if i agree with the "almost always" part...In fact, more agile HMMWV-mounted scouts were relegate to rear-area security duties because their commanders felt they were unsurvivable.
We all make judgements based on our experience. As for the HMMWVs, my son then in the 82d roamed all over Baghdad and Fallujah for a full tour with unarmored HMMWVs. Had a few IED hits but basically, went okay. Risk aversion is not a determinant of capability.
IMHO, if Stryker units had been available for OIF MCO, they would've performed well. They have just enough armor to defeat the Iraqi's primary anti-armor system (RPG-7), and have many more dismounts than heavy units.
Could be. Been interesting to watch.