Quote Originally Posted by Global Scout View Post
Posted by Gute,

It is fight I don't intend to win, but you addressed the issue I'm concerned with. The military is more concerned about standards that are easy to understand and score. It is more about the test than actually be fit for combat. Of course you addressed the remedy to that in the remainder of your post, which I concur with.

Posted by Rifleman,

I started doing planks about a year ago and my back feels much better, but I don't think planks develop the same functional muscles as sit ups? Also do isometric sit ups (get up in a 45 degree angle and hold a few seconds and repeat a few times). Another way to add some muscle to your mid section is by doing curls, just a couple of miller beers per night will pack on the mass
The plank can be a killer, but it needs to be held for minutes to really determine fitness. I believe the Bureau got away from the 2 mile run, now I wish we would. The Bureau replaced it with a 300 meter sprint, which is more applicable for the job. Our PFT (DEA) is push-ups (60-70 max points), pull ups (no kip allowed, 20 max points), sit ups (100 in two minutes max points), 2 mile run (12 minutes and under max points), and a shuttle run (don't remember the exact numbers - low 20 something second range - you gotta be moving like a stripped ass ape to max). We have gotten away from the long runs and now take the trainees out and have em sprint then, run flights of stairs with vest, shield, ram, etc. You prepare yourself for the PFT on your own time. The PFT is taken three times while you go through the academy and never again - yep you read that right. So, why give it three times? I say set the minimum standards higher and the give the test once - when you arrive. If ya fail you re-test in a couple of days, but if ya fail again your done.