Thread: mTBI, PTSD and Stress (Catch All)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Op_Shrink View Post
    Guys thanks for the feedback and insight. I don't take any offense at initial reactions being anger when it relates to combat support personnel conveying they understand the war fighter experience. And I agree there are a fare share of psychologists and doctors who that have little military bearing. That being said I genuinely care about my war fighters and respect what they do. In my experience being genuine, giving respect, and explaining your actions go along way in gaining the trust of war fighters. I don't over do it with military jargon in therapy; just a few select words to make it more relatable to their mindset. I have found the war fighter to be very sensitive to wanna-be 11B providers. I always taught my interns to be genuine and never act like you know more or have done more than what you have. I have deployed 3 times: once to Kuwait/Pakistan and twice to Iraq. I don't pretend to be a war fighter; just a shrink who desires nothing more than to support them and their families. I am in the SOF community now and have found it rewarding to support operators. Please keep firing away with questions and comments. It is appreciated. Sorry it I didn't answer anyone. I was trying to track everything. Have a good one.
    Doc
    Thanks for the response, Doc. My initial reaction is actually based on my four years of working with Psychologists in the prison system, all of which were regular pieces of work. That is overlain with some epic fail stories/experienes from buddies who have sought counselling or been ordered to take counselling by their chain of command post-2001.

Because I have personally encountered one professional psychologist who was worth a crap, (out of a cast of hundreds) and one amateur who was frankly outstanding, I know there is some goodness to be found within the field. Unfortunately, the paucity of effective psychologists/counsellors in my own experience has led me to distrust the field as a whole. Apparently there is more art than science, and it takes a high skilled individual to be effective.

I am very interested in how you cope with the taxonomies you are locked into here. It seems to me there is a huge friction point between the psych and the military framework.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-17-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Sparring sentence removed to prevent a feud. PM to author.