Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
So how many dismounts is that? IIRC ther were LRRP detachments assigned to Div HQ in the 1980s
Divisions had a LRS detachment from sometime early 80s until modularity (04-06), when they all went to Pathfinder COs in AVN BDEs or to the BFSBs.

A mech CO dismounts 3 x 27 (in rifle squads) + a few more HQ types (CO, 3 x PL, 5 x RTO), so ~90 for the mech CO.

A current mixed (M3/HMMWV) scout section with 10 pax can dismount 4 (3 from the M3, 1 from the HMMWV) while keeping the vehicles fully manned. From this, I deduce that an M3 can carry at least 3 dismounts.

A HMMWV can carry 2, but really should only carry one (keeping the other seat free for a terp/medic/casevac/etc). The old 2 LCR MTOE had no dismounts, simply the 3 vehicle crew per each HMMWV, the same as the current IBCT and BFSB mounted troop platoons.

A current Stryker recon platoon has 6 or 7 pax per Stryker RV, from which I deduce that the RV can carry at least 5 dismounts (leaving the 2 man crew in the Stryker).

Assuming that we go with 3 PLTs of 6 M3 in the Heavy Recon Troops, they should be putting out a 6 man recon team per section, for 18 dismounts per platoon, or 56 per troop. Unless we add additional pax, there is no leadership planned to dismount, at least the CO should have a jump gunner and a couple of RTOs to enable him to dismount, so ~59 per heavy troop.

Assuming (again), 3 PLTs of 6 Stryker RVs in the Light Recon Troops, they can be organized identically, or even put down a full 9-man squad per section. So, minimum of ~59 per troop, maximum of 30 per platoon (3 x 9 + PL/RTO/Medic) + COs crew ~94 per troop.

If we are operating unconstrained, I seem to recall (but can't reference right now) that the initial proposal for the ACR included a mech CO in addition to the tank CO, howitzer battery and 3 x Recon troops. That is a pretty big BN, but maybe doable. It would have 18 operational platoons, but a CAB had 16 (before the EN CO was removed) and the old DIV CAV had 16 (counting the air troops) and was split between ground and air. Since this SQDN will operate independently, organizing it to do so without task organization/augmentation would probably be beneficial.