Thread: mTBI, PTSD and Stress (Catch All)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Op_Shrink View Post
    120mm thanks for sharing your experience and sorry it has been such a negative one. So far my military career has granted me quite a bit of freedom in practicing psychology. I think some of the friction arises when Command doesn't advocate for us, which results in stigma for any soldier needing to seek help. I need Command and families to be my greatest advocates.
    I've had Command that has "advocated" to the point of directing people to attend counselling, that frankly, didn't need it. There is a thin line between getting the right people to the right counselling and seeing PTSD behind every bush.

I think one of the keys for a commander is to hammer the living crap out of individuals who stigmatize and/or make a big deal about someone attending counselling. It doesn't take many iterations to change the unit atmosphere vis-a-vis mental health.

There are always going to be psychologists, physicians, nurses, etc. who are great providers but do not have great military bearing.
    I could care less about military bearing. But the military/government system tends to protect the unprofessional and incompetent. That doesn't mean all are, but it is definitely a consideration in this discussion.

I HAVE noticed that folks like Chaplains, Doctors and Nurses sometimes get way too concerned about "military bearing" because they lack a solid indepth understanding of what military bearing really is, and therefore spend an inordinate amount of time trying to "act like a soldier". IMO, they'd be better off just relaxing, being themselves and doing their jobs as best they can.

Also, just because someone hasn't deployed doesn't mean they don't have the skills to help. They just won't really understand, which is okay as long as they acknowledge that shortcoming to the soldier.
    A good counsellor is a good counsellor is a good counsellor. Since a good counsellor sets aside ego in favor of accomplishing something to benefit the counselee, deployment or experience in the particular trauma is irrelevant. The "gifted amateur" who has helped me had zero deployment experience when we started talking. Hence my "wince" when you brought up the "missions" thing. If its a vernacular you are comfortable with, great. Otherwise, I would warn against it.

For me it comes down to genuinely caring about the soldier and their family and taking the time to listen to their experiences and know them. Having a cup of coffee or a guy swinging by the office to talk off line is what I should be taking the time to do. I just want to encourage you that there are quite a few psychologists who have that mindset, especially in the BCT's and SOF community. Well time to work on some more ILE stuff. Have a good one.
    I am struck by the fact that you are fairly skilled at turning aside my initial approach. I can be very abrasive and outspoken, and am amazed at how many psych/counselling "professionals" cannot do that. Those folks, imo, have no business being in the field, as dealing with angry people is their job.
    Last edited by 120mm; 10-19-2010 at 03:34 AM.