Considering that perceptions of injustice are one of the major causal factors for increasing the conditions of insurgency in a community, it should be little surprise that in the prison system one might find a community that finds the rule of law as applied to them to be injust.

This is certainly true in America where one really can't rationalize the percentages of minorities who end up in the system. Or in Saudi Arabia where some 9,000 have been arrested on suspicion of "terrorism" over the past 7 years or so and held without charge or trial.

By understanding from the perspective of the populace and working to address those things that contribute most to perceptions of injustice is the best way to "deradicalize" this populace. These other programs are mere mitigation of the symptoms, and not true solutions.

I don't think we fully appreciate the magnitude of the problem, or the interconnectivity through informal networked means.

My Uncle was a corrections officer at the facility where Sirhan Sirhan is held. When he walked by his cell on 9/10/01 he noticed Sirhan sitting in a meditative state with a freshly shaved head. "Why the new hairdo?" he asked. "I'm preparing for war," Sirhan replied. The following day is, of course, history.

One more good reason we should put the bulk of our intel community in prison...