Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
Yes, sorry I meant regime ideology. Funnily enough most Yemenis I spoke to detest the Palestinians because they think they get a good deal by being a "diaspora" (i.e., the Arab states "throw money at them" and so does the international community, whatever that is).
These are important points in remembering that this is not a single monolithic problem, or a global insurgency; but rather many unique and distinct points of friction between populaces and their governments.

Is there a synergy? Well, certainly that is AQ's goal; but such UW efforts by AQ do not make everyone who talks or works with them into AQ as well to be resolved through CT. AQAP, AQIM...these are clusters of nationalist insurgent movements where AQ conducts UW to seek such synergy. Large, common ends such as a Caliphate? Highly unlikely.

An Iran of course is completely unrelated to all. They don't blame their poor governance on the US as these others often do (and of course are largely
Shia). They took care of that problem back in the 70s, the current problem is their own and they know it. This is why the Iranian populace is our greatest resource in keeping the Iranian government in check, or "deterred." Taking positions that alienate the Iranian populace only weaken our position in that region.