Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
The ones who dissented were killed or otherwise marginalized. No, your statement is overly broad, and therefore wildly inaccurate. Did the poor strategy of Germany in WWII lead to their ultimate decimation as a nation? Certainly. Were the German high command schooled in Clausewitz and well aware of the role Napoleon had in both building and destroying France and did they see the same flaw of human nature in Hitler leading them to the same inevitable end? Yes. But Napoleons and Hitlers do not lead by consensus or work to enact the will of the people, rather they dictate. The cautions on the effects of absolute power are wise, (as we sadly see every day in Afghanistan as well...)

I was just offering you a hand, you don't have to take it, and are certainly entitled to your opinions. I figured you had misspoke. I know I often do.
It is a commonly accepted practice to discuss history in terms of the Germans, the Japanese, the Americans, etc...

History books, you will find, refer to Hitler, the German High Command, the German Army, etc... as simply the Germans; the German strategy, the German offensive, the German tactics, etc... This isn't new. To split hairs in terminology based on the political situation in Germany is not worth the time.

To debate who had what say in the German strategy is largely irrelevant when discussing the efficacy of the strategy itself, and the efficacy of the strategy was the crux of the discussion.

If you want to talk about WHO was responsible for the poor German strategy...I got it. However, I was simply evaluating the strategy vis a vis France in 1940.