Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Googling

the following three phrases:

"policy of targeted killing" - 74,900 hits

"strategy of targeted killing" - 45 hits

"tactic of targeted killing" - 68 hits

My personal two cents worth (for what it is worth) is that "targeted killing" (which ain't new) is a different enough form of warfare to have its own "grammer"; and that, moreover, it cuts across the DIME instruments of power (and whatever more letters you want to add) horizontally and runs vertically down from the highest national command authority to the guy or gal who pulls the trigger or pushes the button.

I don't exclude the use of the two lesser phrases (strategy and tactics). For example, the decision making targeting process does have its own features, as illustrated by Amos N. Guiora, License to Kill, 13 Jul 2009, Foreign Policy (another user of the term "policy": "Israel instituted its targeted killing policy in large part in response to Palestinian suicide-bombing attacks"):

When asked by a particular commander to authorize a targeted killing, I would ask the following factual questions:
    »Who is the source?
    »How reliable is the source?
    »How timely is the information?
    »What is the relationship between the source and the potential target?
    »How precise is the information? (I was once told, for example, "he is wearing a blue shirt and blue jeans," but it was nighttime and the commander had night-vision equipment)
    »When was the last time the unit conducted a nighttime ambush?
    »How confident was the commander in his unit's capabilities?
    »Did the commander receive the intelligence directly from the intelligence community and had he discussed the issue with a case officer?
    Not all of its cases have a "Committee X" (or Barak playing a brunette followed by a strawberry blond); Guiora's example was Gaza where the area commander made the decision in individual cases at that time.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Here is an update (mostly on Israeli and US practices - they are somewhat different) from earlier this year, Gabriella Blum and Philip Heymann,Law and Policy of Targeted Killing (Harvard National Security Journal; posted on Jun 27, 2010).
    Last edited by jmm99; 12-12-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: add link