Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
The assassination attempt failed, yes, but the device was smuggled through the security measures required to be in proximity to the Prince. For an airliner they would just have to get through the security measures, for the most part. Conceivably, the device could also be extracted from the body cavity once airborne, and positioned elsewhere.
Yes, the "so-called" device was successfully smuggled past Saudi security, but there was no scan performed (according to the sites I access) and it's also apparent that the Suadis let their guard down (something they clearly admitted. A known terrorist being permitted into a secure area and then have relatively easy communications access is stupid IMO). What this however has done is raise our awareness regarding scans much like previous "contents" hidden in shoes and liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
Yeah, it’s the scale required that is the problem. Getting enough trained and qualified for it to be effective; is that even going to be feasible?
I can see this being a real pain and the airlines taking revenue losses, but I can equally see a very expensive aircraft and 250 lost souls being more expensive than a bankruptcy claim. We would then justify minimalistic standards how ?