Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
Quite frankly very few people seriously expect the US to do anything about Zimbabwe. Carter/Vance/Young handed the country to Mugabe in 1980 and its been a wonderful democratic paradise every since.
This is probably not appropriate for me to say, but the years I have in that region have left me with a totally different view than most.

It's never been relevant to me "who" put the Mugabes and Mobutus into typical African-style power because I doubt all those American politicians intended for that Sierra to take place, and, we (those that came and taught them) certainly didn't teach them to rape, pillage and plunder along the way.

The only thing I have noticed is when the Africans finally take charge and get rid of their dictators do they inevitable prosper. I doubt and certainly don't expect any Western nation to jump in and remove Bob. Even if we did, he would be followed by another and yet another Bob.

Countries like Zimbabwe and Zaire were capable of feeding and taking care of their people for the next 100 years without importing much more than a cell phone Now we will once again be faced with wide-spread disease and famine, the NGOs will scarf up our money and dump it (there), and there will be some slight semblance of peace til the rice is once again gone.

I've seen some truly sad cases of political Sierra but I've only seen two clear cases where the people finally said they had "had enough".

Jeez, get off your Alpha and do something... You are already dying doing nothing while the rice bags arrive