Thread: Horn of Africa historical (pre-2011): catch all thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Ugandan's of AMISOM have arrived

From a CNN article today:

Around 400 Ugandan forces flew into the airport on Monday as the first contingent of the African Union Mission in Somalia -- AMISOM -- charged with helping the war-torn country rebuild.

Around 1,100 further troops are expected to arrive in the next 24 hours. The mission, organized by the African Union, consists of more than 7,600 ground troops, plus police training teams and air and maritime security patrols.

You have to love these quotes :

"We are very happy to be the first African Union peacekeepers to Somalia. We are welcomed here," Paddy Akunda, the Ugandan forces' spokesman, said prior to the attack.

"We are not imposing anything on Somalis. We know our mandate; we will work toward restoring law and order in Somalia without targeting anybody."

I wonder why I am rolling my eyes right now...Oh yeah, therre were also reports of a mortar attack on the airport during the arrival ceremony. Why the pomp and circumstance? It's not a media show they are headed to - it is the octagon, and they'd better get there stuff squared away quick or they'll spend the tour hunkered down behind barriers and white-washed walls.

I'd actually like to go back to Mogadishu, just to see what has or hasn't changed in 13 years.
    Last edited by jcustis; 03-06-2007 at 02:19 PM.