Doing something about the sanctuaries is very important, and I would be all over it if I had a hand in formulating the policy. To some degree, despite the logistical issues inherent, it just takes the guts to try and the planning acumen of several staffs to do the job. With all due respect to the process, that can be a Herculean effort, considering who controls the various ISR, maneuver, and aviation support assets in the theater.

My battalion conducted a 160km raid to the AfPak border area known as Bahram Cha and spent 24 hours or so disrupting a significant Taliban C2 and logistics hub. At the end of the day, the most significant result was the destruction of enough ammonium nitrate that could have made 2,000 IEDs

That raid wasn't actually a cross-border incursion, mind you, but given the sensitivity concerning Pakistan's potential reaction, you might have thought it was. The area sits virtually astride the border, and the effects of our fires had to be evaluated to avoid straying into Pakistan.

Sanctuaries create logistical breathing space for the enemy, in such a way that no matter how hard you try to focus on the population, it allows the enemy to husband resources, re-arm/re-fit, and employ that they've got all the watches but we have all the time sort of fighting technique to outlast you. Take that course of action away, and you may be able to force him to fight closer to your terms.