Hey Cannoneer !

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
The Forest Brothers and the Selbschutz, Schuma Battalions, and the 20th Waffen Grenadier Division der SS (Estnische Nr. 1) whacked a lot of Sovs during the Great Patriotic War. Great Irregular Warfare stuff for a different thread.
Hmm, just so some folks don’t get the wrong idea thinking the Forest Brothers were Nazis or Nazi sympathizers, I need to clear this one up a smiggin.

Generally speaking the Forest Brothers limited their activities to supporting Estonian and Finnish soldiers and were at one time something of a myth or legend when soldiers returning from the front recanted stories of “Forest Brothers” disrupting flanking enemy fire and saving their butts. They however were not an elite SS unit hangin’ out in the trees and Bogs. One very old dude told me “how easy it was to pick off Russian officers” as they always paraded around in class A’s with all the glittering accoutrements glaring you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
Estonian Exceptionalists have forgiven themselves for their Nazi past and convinced their countrymen that Estonia is a force for good in the world and deserves to survive.
Most Estonians agree that Estonia was occupied both by the Germans and Russians (they were in fact occupied not less than 15 times, but we’ll stick with the 1900s for now). What one doesn’t hear too often when speaking to people over 50 are bad stories about the Germans raping and pillaging. The Russian-related stories run the gamut between freedom fighters and nearly “African Style” animals (unless of course you’re speaking to an ethnic Russian ).

I know of only one or two ethnic Russians in the Defense League today and they were born to either an Estonian father or mother (which statistically speaking doesn’t count as a Russian). So, IMO, the Defense League will continue its tradition and the Cyber Defense Unit is simply reflective of the League’s newest and youngest patriotic members. I’m reminded that the next war will not include firearms, and keyboards will soon be a thing of the past (jeez, why did I ever learn to type in the first place ?).

Regards, Stan