Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
Totally understood and I'll keep that in mind. Participate as you are able and it is welcome. As you might guess I'm an open book, unconstrained at this time, by any government or business entity. You can go to my website, see my complete CV so you can determine if I have any credibility in my statements.
Thank you, this is a low-BS site overall but I did already go take some look at your site, I think you're doing good work. The site admins have my name, mail, & I'm not bouncing around any. I'm open to more privately than publicly, but I need the tripwires of pseudo-anonymity too. With a lot of what I do if you know who I am then I'm doing it wrong, so it's something of a habit too.

In your earlier post, when you said "technology -> technology" can you clarify what you meant by that? I'm not sure quite what you mean there, although I follow the earlier synopsis a bit better.

Quite frequently even today when you talk about destroying either a piece of tech, or a system that relies on it, technologists greet the idea with surprise. There are two types of surprise that come up, one is surprise at a method, the other more common one is surprise at the possibility of doing such a thing. That latter one I encounter the most. I encounter it a lot less frequently in any discussions with military people, but it still happens because everyone has a tendency to take technology for granted until it's gone. Figuring out the implications is difficult a lot of the time too, and it's taught me to be able to feel very comfortable listening to someone & then saying "I did not know that".

I think that an awful lot, and not all, but very many technocrats do not understand warfare, and very little of war. A lot of them don't understand government, or that order & anarchy can both be extraordinarily destructive when they are taken to extremes of implementation. It would be very easy for me to go off on a long, long & detailed rant about all the ways that's true, but I'll just add that it's the same problem as seen between civilians & their governments & their military in most countries. Technology people, & geeks of all flavors, can be personally abstracted from basic hygiene so I think it helps to keep in mind sometimes that their limitations in those areas can cause a wide variety of understanding problems, & military matters are part of the pile, not an exception.