Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
Its been decided, in this case its Laurent Gbagbo. Decided by the UN, the AU, the US, France, Britain etc etc. The bad elephant has been identified.
Identifying a bad guy is one thing, deciding to "take him out" is another. Who do you expect to do that?

So really there is no cavalry coming to the assistance of the people of Ivory Coast is there.
No, there isn't. Who has interests in the Ivory Coast that would justify the expense of sending the cavalry? Whose cavalry do you think ought to ride to the rescue, and at whose expense?

the easy way would be to put a US$1m bountry on Gbagbo's head. I'm sure some bodyguard will go for the money.
Who do you think should offer - and pay - the money?

The idea is to deal with the elephants before the grass gets trampled.
In the unlikely event that the US or anyone else were to intervene, send cavalry, or start bunging cruise missiles about the place, wouldn't the intervening party be just more elephant trampling the grass? I don't suppose it matters much to the grass whether the elephant doing the trampling is good or bad.

It's all very well to suggest that "we" should go launching cruise missiles, but as far as I know we (the inmates at SWJ) are not in a position to do that. I certainly haven't any cruise missiles at my disposal, have you? Mostly only governments do, and they are somewhat restricted in where they can send them. The US isn't likely to be firing missiles at anyone unless they can at least muster a vague pretense that the target is a threat to US security. The potential for fluctuations in the global price of cocoa does not count as a security threat.