Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
I'm interested in cost comparisons between AC and RC forces, armor and infantry and wondering if someone might point me in the right direction? Also, the Army has talked about fielding a lighter force and plans to replace two HBCTs with SBCTs. To me it would make sense to replace IBCTs because SBCTs may also function as light infantry. Can the U.S. afford to transfer most of the armor force to the reserves/ARNG and still field a high quality, combat ready force? Or, should the AC Army keep all armor battalions and the reserves/ARNG convert their HBCTs to IBCTs?
Today, the costs for AC versus RC for equipment are essentially the same as they both will generally have the same types and amounts of equipment.

It costs the same for training, both individual and collective, but many RC units will end up costing more for training as their level of proficiency starts low. More reps cost more. Overall, HBCTs are the most expensive to train and IBCTs are the cheapest. The major costs for training are: Ammo, Fuel and repair parts. Tanks = lots, 11Bs not so much

For personnel, RC units are a hugh bargain, you only pay us/them when we are in some kind of official status. Generaly, 4 days pay per RC Soldier per month + 14/15 days once each year for Annual Training/Summer Camp.

OEF/OIF changed alot on the amount of training time available/required, but RC still costs less.

Today, the breakdown of AC versus RC by BCT type is something like

HBCT AC = 17, RC (National Guard only) = 8
SBCT AC = 6, RC (National Guard only) = 1
IBCT AC = 23, RC (National Guard only) = 20

To answer the question a different way, how many BCTs of which type does the Army project it will need in the future? If you can get that one 100% right, let me know. I want stock tips next.

I think the conversion plan was for one AC HBCT to SBCT and the 3rd ACR (once back from deployment) is supposed to be the other. With only one "True" ACR remaining, the last part makes sense.

If based simply off Army Force Generation (ARFORGEN) the AC numbers should/could be divisible by 3 (one deployed for two at home) and the RC/NG by 5 (one deployed for four at home).