Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
As I understand it, the term Battlespace Owner means that a Commander has been given effective total command -- with some exceptions -- over everything and everyone who enters, crosses or operates in a specified geographical area.

The control is total except for some SOF elements / missions and occasional other exceptions, a Battlespace Owner thus can dictate how units in his area not directly subordinate to him can or cannot operate.

I appreciate the need for delegation of authority, for accountability and for unity of command, however, it has been my observation that the thought processes of well trained Armor, Mech Infantry, Cavalry, Light Infantry and Artillery commanders vary slightly to considerably with respect to TTPs and thus perhaps a potential for friction (Clausewitzian style...) occurs when a dictatorial Light Infantry Commander has local FA elements operating in both the fire support and infantry modes...
As the token air guy, I feel compelled to mention that the CFLCC battlespace technically only extends vertically to the coordination altitude- above that, the CFACC "owns" the battlespace.

This means the "BSO" probably should coordinate any indirect fire larger than small mortars with the CFACC thru the ALO/BCD. Still doesn't avoid incidents like this, but at least my bros in the jets can hopefully not get involved...

In practice the use of kill boxes helps this coordination quite a bit, especially when "purple" kill boxes are used.

Ownership is immaterial, but coordination (and procedures to get it done right!) are critical for all the reasons you mentioned- frat, etc.

V/R,

Cliff