Thread: Egypt's Spring Revolution (2011-2013)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Possible explanations?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Tequila-

Great find! I think that Egypt (much more than Tunisia) is driven by economics almost as much as politics.

V/R,

Cliff
    I was puzzled by those graphs because they contrasted with other things I thought I heard. Was curious so while not an economist, went searching for understandable explanations and contrasting viewpoints. Got this Gallup poll.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145883/Eg...GDP-Gains.aspx

The graphs show GDP climbing rather dramatically in the last few years, yet the "thriving" rating declined. The turning point appears to be around 2008...when the worldwide recession was at its worst. Do folks vacation in Egypt during a recession? Compare the thriving ratings a few years earlier at 29 which was more comparable to other Arab countries...those with oil. People still must buy oil in a recession.

So my theory is that rising oil prices helped other Arab economies while declining travel hurt Egypt more than the others due to its lack of oil and extensive reliance on tourism. In addition, Egypt grew from around 52 million folks in 1990 to 85 million today...that would tend to put a damper on your economy and ability to feed folks and get them jobs.

Admit that it was surprising to learn from one network that the Mubarak family may be worth $40 billion plus due to fingers in many government contracts. That's kind of alarming in a nation with a $500 billion GDP.
    Last edited by Cole; 02-05-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typo