After reading this discussion I decided to review the current gun-laws in Belgium, i didnt know them because few people here own guns and thus the need to know the gun-laws is pretty much non-existant.

Now comparing the American and the Belgian sentiment towards guns shows a big difference in mentality. While as shown by the article in the first post, the desire of the writer is to increase the gun availability (here in the context of a military base) as a response to an act of violence (fort hood shooting).
The Belgian mentality (or that of our politicians) is completely the opposite, to limit gun availability.
The current gun-law came into place in 2006 after some racist 18 year old, decided it would be fun to shoot some foreigners and he killed two people including a child. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Van_Themsche
Now the point was that he managed to buy a hunting rifle as a minor without any permit being needed or any restrictions being applied. Now the law still forced him to register the weapon to the local police after he bought it, but this procedure is often described in publications about the shooting as a loophole because it allowed people to buy guns on impulse without any form of control because the buyer only had to register the gun after it was bought, allowing for nut-jobs like that dude to get his hands on a gun.
Now as a result of that shooting the political establishment recognized the need to reform current gun-law's and instead of just passing a law adapting this loophole they opted for a complete ban on guns except for people who were certified hunters or sport shooters ,which came down to about 80 000 people who were allowed to own guns.
In 2008 this law was adapted a bit to allow for ownership of weapons without ammunition but apparently it remains one of the toughest gun laws in the world.
Well not that it actually lowered crime rates or anything, and last year we had something of a crime wave in Brussels when a bunch of criminals started shooting at cops with ak-47's smuggled in from ex-yugoslavia and apparently these guns could be bought in the black market for about 100 euros.

Might have gone a little off topic here, but I found this apparent difference in mentality to be quite interesting.