Thread: Should Military Recognize State Concealed Carry Licenses

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
    1. Honoring state CCWs on military installations could reduce the FP posture of those installations. Is the additional Antiterrorism/Force Protection rapid response capability afforded by soldiers carrying their own personal weapons concealed on post likely to result in more Hassan wannabes defeated or more soldiers killed or wounded by themselves or other soldiers? That is indeed the question. I again think it would take a lot of NDs or soldier criminality to cause 13 dead and 40 wounded, even across the whole military. I do not know the statistics for the current situation

2. The fact that American police are generally armed has nothing to do with whether active duty soldiers should be generally armed in garrisons in CONUS. My humble attempt at an analogy. Don't think AQAM would think it a good development for state CCW permits to be recognized on DoD installations. But to be honest, I have no evidence that AQ thinks of the issue at all

3a. I don't know what the average American expects. The American Armed Forces have a wide variety of machines with which to kill people and break things. Only the Army and Marine Corps arm most of their troops with individual weapons.

3b. Who really cares what the average American prefers? The Army is not a democracy. ? Whoa.... isn't this part of what a republic is all about? The Army isn't a democracy but it serves one. If Congress says DoD must recognize state CCWs as the NPS now does at National Parks and POTUS signs it, I bet many senior leaders will think it was a great idea all along.

4. If my preferences were a matter of major concern, I would prefer not to be there that day. Ok, why can't we all just get along? Commanders decide where and when they want their troops armed. Yep. A disciplined force cannot allow large numbers of junior soldiers to pack their own privately-owned heat under their ACU's whenever they feel like it. What is your support for this contention? Seems like saying " A disciplined force cannot allow large numbers of junior soldiers to own POVS ?"

5. No. "Lone wolf shooter" attacks have always been rare, but not unknown. How rare are they, really, and how much nut roll should we go through to predict/prevent/mitigate them? I think it was W.E.B. Griffin that said you only really need a handgun when you need it really bad
    Mine in bold.
    Last edited by DVC; 02-15-2011 at 09:23 PM.