Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
It is (or should be) standard to purchase rifles with a combination of long, standard and short butt-stock lengths. The user information should be easily available through historical record of the applicable army or branch of the military. For standard infantry (and also everyone else) this has been the standard up until recently (when individually adjustable butt-stocks have become the norm).

My question was simple in that not coming from a cold climate where an additional amount of padding and other stuff in the area of the shoulders during winter may be necessary. Does this padding affect the length of pull to the extent that a length of butt-stock adjustment would be necessary? I can't think of any other reason why a person would need to adjust the length of his butt-stock.
It is necessary mostly in case of use/unuse of hard body armor, or when you switch from red dot to scope (usually from reflex/aimpoint to ACOG due to character of AO) and need do have your eye directly on it. With rigid army system, I can´t see as a solution issuing different unadjustable lenghts of stock. I personally had to change rifle many times already, while still in one unit, just because it was easier for paperwork for my superiors. I am sure sooner or later someone would ended up with wrong lenght. Adjustable stock is not even expensive and easily solves all this problems. Question is, why NOT to use it then?