Thread: The Roles and Weapons with the Squad

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    I can understand the length of pull requirement changing if the shoulder padding thickness changes significantly. I would have thought that the use of body armour is by now not negotiable so that would not change. Hence my comment about winter clothing.

I have noted that very often the butt-stock is not positioned in the shoulder when the weapon is fired. (see photo below) Only possible with a pea-shooter. This leaves me wondering whether angle of the butt stock (in relation to the plane of the barrel) should also be adjustable?

The man closest to the left has only the toe of his butt-stock on his shoulder while the second man seems to have it pulled right into the shoulder. What accounts for the difference? (other than that the second man adjusts his cheek position accordingly while the first man seems to keep his head upright and moves his weapon to suit) - I make the observation that the sight may well be viewing over the wall but it will be touch-and-go whether a bullet fired will clear the wall.

What in an AO changes your requirement for a specific butt-stock length? An how often do you change AOs?
    To the pic - soldier closer to us is not firing, just looking over that compound wall. Today´s trend is to shift pressure from shoulder almost to the center of the chest, because of better reflexive and natural aim, but still you are supposed to press it firmly against the body. When I used to fire Czech Sa58 rifle with collapsible stock, I had sometimes bruise under eye, because I am lanky and stock was too short. When I pushed stock to the shoulder and looked into the foresight, the back of the rifle was kicking me in the face. When I switched to commercial adjustable stock from FAB, problem was solved. If we talk about optics, I think that average US Army infantry grunt gets issued Reflex and ACOG (not sure). I have nothing against good old iron sights, but for hundred meters, I can hit a coin with M4 and ACOG when lying prone, I can´t do that with iron sights, I would not even see such a small target. Also iron sights are not so good with NVG (even if you use DBALL or AN/PEQ, it´s still good to have an option to aim without it at night). When I mentioned change of AO, it was according to the optics, red dot vs. scope, not because of the stock. Also sometimes you just get issued something and no one asks if you want ACOG or Reflex or whatever.
    Last edited by BushrangerCZ; 02-21-2011 at 07:10 PM.