Quote Originally Posted by motorfirebox View Post
So, 2006 all over again? What would be different this time? Don't get me wrong, it'd work for a while, just like breaking the IUC with Ethiopia worked (for certain values of "work") for a while. The IUC was deposed... leaving a rabid terrorist organization in its place, and also pirates. There's a need to be careful with how you define your win conditions.
I'd say 1965 thru 1991 all over again, but it works out the very same for most in Sub-Sahara. Piracy seems to make the news, but yet, hostages are present everywhere.

Stopping the current threat is little more than a band aid til the next administration comes in and creates a new policy for dealing with GWOT or whatever we think up next. So, we're left with concentrating on what makes the news and popular polls.

Seems the proxy war only masks our distaste for doing business once diplomacy no longer works with clean results.

I can only imagine what would have happened if some First Lady years ago decided she didn't care for pirates instead of telling us she no longer liked land mines