Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
Roosevelt tricking us into WW II, Nixon in Viet Nam, Clinton in Somalia and Bush in Iraq and the reelections of all to a subsequent second (or third) term during unpopular wars (yes even the great crusade of WW II was questioned by many...) would seem to make that a statement that is at best questionable...
Well, I did say subtract votes--not automatically lose elections.

In terms of elections, Bush won his second term before public opinion had fully tipped against the action in Iraq (2005 was the earliest a poll showed a majority--56% of Americans--thought that invading Iraq was a mistake). The Republican Congress in 2006 and McCain in 2008 bore the brunt of that dip in the polls. Operations in Somalia were initiated under Bush I, and when they really went south, Clinton pulled out. Vietnam was far more unpopular in the history books than it was at the time. As for WWII, Roosevelt won his third term more than a year before the US was drawn into the conflict (and spent time on the campaign trail issuing reassurances that the US wouldn't be drawn in); by the time of his fourth term, the Allies were clearly winning.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
Now based on that you jump boots and all into this discussion?????
I've answered this question previously.