...this needs further verification to change from fable to truth. There are a lot of unverified stories, including the [defamatory?] primary one about the British defense secretary Hoon "quashing" McGeogh getting the medal. It seems that no named British citizen ever received the CMOH other than the 'British Unknown Soldier' in 1921, although many named foreign born citizens have including 61 Canadians(1 during Vietnam) and probably a couple fellows born in England.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nor_recipients

It is a requirement that you be in the American military(not a citizen)to get it.

I would assume that if sgt McGeogh's brother-in-law and widow BOTH verify that he received the medal, then it could be assumed that McGeogh was contacted to receive it, if not actually had received it. But it would have to be determined that the person you were corresponding with was actually McGeogh's brother-in-law, and his widow would be needed for verification. If they both(or only his widow) say he got it, then I would still suggest that indicates only an attempt to give him the medal happened, due to legal constraints on the medal being an American military personelle only medal. It would be interesting[telling of the general mindset of the Bush administration] if someone from that White House made an attempt to give him the medal, so maybe it is a worthwhile question to ask his widow much later after she has finished grieving.

My father was given a medal from a foreign government, and he kept it quiet until his deathbed.

BTW, I don't think the SBS needs a medal of any sort to prove they have valor though. The MOH has always been simply a symbol for the many who didn't receive it but qualify for it. The SBS in general has plenty of those symbols attributed to them.