Quote Originally Posted by Demon Fox View Post
In regards to the SA-80, all I've ever heard from Brit soldiers is complaints. I was sharing a range with some Brits in AF a couple of months ago and they were ogling over my M4. They mentioned they were supposed to be transitioning to the M4 sometime in the future. I don't know the truth of that - maybe just soldier rumor mill.

The bullpup design certainly has its advantages. In regards to some such as the Steyr AUG, the manufacturer needs to modify it a bit with standard rail systems to allow for attachments and a choice of optics.

For those who really need to shorten the M4 length, there is always the option of the "shorty" barrels a lot of SOF guys like to use. Good for MOUT, but obvious a little less on the max effective range in long engagements. But, if you know the ballistics of your rifle you can always engage effectively with your weapon - whatever it is. An M4 can hit man-sized targets consistently 500 - 600 meters if you know how to judge the winds. It just takes practice.
About ten years ago the Brits wanted to improve the reliability of the SA-80 5.56mm standard issue shoulder arm. The German arms design and manufacturing company Heckler and Koch was employed and reportedly did a good job. It is likely that Brit soldiers in Afghanistan have been issued the upgraded SA-80. So their complaints could be instance of poor reputation following like a bad smell regardless of improvement, or the improvement was inadequate. SA-80 has been in service for several decades and perception - even if misguided - counts for a lot, so Brit Army may have decided to succeed the SA-80 with a weapon that is clearly better. That weapon could be the M4. But the M4 operates with direct gas which also smells. Successor for the SA-80 is more likely to be the FN Mk16 or the HK416 as both have gas piston operation. Externally the HK416 resembles the M4 so that is a possible source of confusion.

The F88 AUG currently produced by ADI has Picatinny sight rail plus forward lower assembly with handgrip or 40mm grenade launcher plus side rails for laser designator/pointer, taclight, etc. For operation in Afghanistan and elsewhere the F88 carries many different combinations of reflex, and variable magnification day and night sights. The particular combination can be partly a user choice.

For rifle shooting at 500m and beyond it would be preferable to use a 7.62mm big brother such as the fwd-mag FN Mk17 or HK417. FN and H&K each seem to have plenty of corporate energy, so hopefully and before long it will be possible to use a bullpup relative of the Mk17 or HK417.